Please follow directions and rubric for this assignment
Florida National University
Research Assignment #1
The student will read and understand the given case scenario and further develop a hypothetical project. The student will answer given questions that will serve as a guide for this project. Also, the student will explain key concepts and apply theoretical frameworks, models and/ or theories pertinent to this case.
2. Your research paper must follow APA format according to Publication Manual American Psychological Association (APA) (6th ed.). Include a cover page and headings per 6th edition APA guidelines.
3. The research paper should be minimum of 3 pages (not including the title or reference pages) – maximum of 6 pages (not including the title or reference pages), single spaced, Times New Roman, Size 12, and 5 references related to the topic (3 must be peer-reviewed journal articles).
4. Include the following components in your research paper:
a. Title Page
c. Problem Statement
d. Population of Interest
e. Key concepts such as: obesity, social determinants of health, health promotion and risk reduction, role of community health nurses.
f. Theoretical frameworks of behavioral change / models
g. Planning community intervention / Funding
h. Evaluate the community-level intervention
i. Social marketing / resources
j. Research studies (at least 3 peer-reviewed journal articles)
l. References Page
5. All Florida National University policies related to plagiarism must be observed.
Directions and Grading Criteria: Research paper #1
The introduction must be clear and concise and be inclusive of a brief summary of the intent of your paper. It must also provide a formal purpose statement to set your paper up for your reader(s).
Fully describe the primary problem you are addressing as part of your potential hypothetical project. Integrate contemporary/scholarly evidence (no more than 7 years old) to support the need for change.
Population of Interest
Describe your population of interest.
1. Introduce / explain key concepts such as: obesity, social determinants of health, health promotion and risk reduction, role of community health nurses.
Please, review the following case study. The following questions with guide your research paper.
Maria is 15 years old and 74 pounds overweight. Her father is an uber driver who was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Her mother works for a cleaning company. She is overweight with lipid disorder (high blood levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol and triglycerides). She is taking two antihypertensive medications at present time. At a recent health science fair at Maria’s school, a student-led screening clinic documented Maria’s blood pressure at 141/92 mm Hg. The family immigrated from Nicaragua 3 years ago and they do not have health insurance.
During health science fair, the following data was recorded: 56% of the students with BMI 25.0 to <30 and 18% of the students with BMI 30.0 or higher.
Consider yourself a community health nurse.
1. Is obesity a major health issue in the United States?
2. According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NCHS, CDC; BRFSS, 2012), how is obesity defined?
3. What is your role as a community nurse?
4. What risk factors should be explored for Maria’s family for cardiovascular disease? Mention social determinants of health in this case. Incorporate the concepts of health promotion and risk reduction.
5. Would you apply any of the behavioral change models to address health promotion and risk reduction in this case (theoretical frameworks of behavioral change / models discussed on Chapter 5 of textbook). Describe your selection.
6. Public health nurses use statistics to demonstrate the need for obesity program development and community interventions. According to the most recent CDC data: What data were identified about obesity in children and adults?
7. Is there a necessity of planning a community nursing intervention? How will you do that? Will you work alone or in collaboration / teamwork? Will you look for funding? How?
8. If you decide to do a community intervention. How would you evaluate the community-level intervention(s)?
9. Will you use social marketing to change health behaviors or beliefs, social or cultural norms, or community standards to improve health or benefit society. Which resources will you use?
10. Mention research studies that support any of the above (1 through 9) (mention at least 3 research studies in the paper).
The student will read and understand the given case scenario and further develop a hypothetical project/ paper. The student will answer given questions that will serve as a guide for this project. Also, t
Week # 6 Research Paper Comment by Ileana Torres: Look for a more appropriate title
Obesity has become a major health problem in the United States that has resulted in several conditions, particularly an increase in the risk of some types of stroke, type 2 diabetes, coronary artery disease, and cancer. This condition has also created a significant increase in early mortality and economic costs in the United States. It is estimated that almost thirty-five percent of Americans have obesity making many health care agencies consider obesity as a chronic disease. It has been defined to be a national epidemic that does not only entail weight problems but may also have severe effects on an individual’s psychological, metabolic, and physical health. Include a statement with the intent of the paper.
Obesity has become a major health condition in the United States with different causes, signs, and symptoms, and in order to facilitate its reduction and prevention, community intervention should be enacted by the relevant authorities effectively and as fast as possible. Comment by Ileana Torres: Support with evidence
Population of interest
The population of interest in this research is children, adolescents, and adults. Children and adolescents suffer from childhood obesity, which is a severe health condition that leads to various problems such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes that were early considered to be adult problems only. According to reports, the prevalence of obesity among adults was approximately forty-two percent, with many related conditions like particular types of cancer, type 2 diabetes, stroke, and heart disease. Comment by Ileana Torres: What reporta?
Obesity is determined by using a body mass index, which is a computation of a person’s weight and height in measuring their body size. In adults having a BMI of thirty or more, they are defined as overweight centered on the centers for disease control and prevention. However, the body mass index may have some limitations because some factors such as muscle mass, ethnicity, sex, and age can impact the connection between body mass index and body fat. Additionally, body mass index does not distinguish between bone mass, muscle, or excess fat, and it does not offer any indication of the distribution of fat amongst people. Obesity is categorized into different classes among adults starting with underweight, normal weight, overweigh