Please find open attached file , Choose a scenario from the word document and use the instruction and the sample to solve the homework, for further explanation please put it in the chat.
Purpose: PICO questions are used by practicing nurses and researchers to focus research questions and develop an efficient literature search strategy. It is essential that future nurses learn how to do this to develop evidenced-based solutions to patient care problems in a healthcare organization.
1. Write a PICO question based on a scenario you choose from the list of scenarios attached below. Use the templates in the EBP Step by Step 3 article to help create your questions. You may need to do a pre-search to finding an intervention (the “I”) that has been studied and published to solve the problem.
2. Identify the PICO elements for each question.
3. Develop a search strategy using at least 3 keywords from the P, I, and O parts of your PICO, 1 synonym for one of the keywords, and 1 MeSH term for one of your keywords.
4. Locate 4 articles that help answer your PICO question. The articles must meet the following requirements:
· must be primary source quantitative research articles.
· No article can be older than 2017.
5. Obtain pdfs of the four articles you selected from the school database. They must show the full text of the entire article. If not available for the School database, you may request access from the school Library, or you can email me the citation for the article, and I will attempt to locate a pdf of it.
6. On a Word document, include your scenario; write your PICO question as a sentence; identify the P, I, C, and O for each question; and list the search terms (3 keywords, 1 synonym, 1 MeSH term) for each. You may use the template attached here. See also the link to the MeSH terms website below.
7. Provide a properly formatted APA reference page for your selected articles from Step 4 of these instructions. See the link to the APA and Writing LibGuide below.
PICO AND LIT. SEARCH 1
College of Nursing, Josh University
NUR2255; Research in Nursing
Professor Dan Foster
May 23, 2021
Reduction of Medication Errors Within a Surgical Unit with Limited Financial Resources
Scenario: A medical surgical unit manager has had a significant increase in medication administration errors over the last two months. The errors involve many staff members and are occurring on all shifts. The budget does not allow for the purchase of new administration system. Your task is to research an intervention to decrease medication administration errors from the nursing staff within these parameters.
Picot Question: In a surgical unit nursing staff, what is the effect of professional development compared to automated dispensing cabinets in reducing medication errors?
P – Surgical unit nursing staff.
I – Professional development
C – Automated dispensing cabinet
O – Reduced medication error
3 Keywords: professional development, automated dispensing cabinets, medication error
1 Synonym: education
1 MeSH Term: Adverse drug event
Bonetti,A. F., Reis, W. C., Lombardi, N. F., Mendes, A. M., Netto, H. P., Rotta, I., Fenandez-Llimos, F., & Pontarolo, R. (2018). Parmarcist-led discharge medication counselling: A scope review. Journal of eveluation in practice, 24(3),570-579. http://doi.org/10.1111/jep.12933
Di Simone, E., Giannetta, N., Auddino, F., Cicotto, A., Grilli, D., & Di Muzio, M. (2018). Medication errors in the emergency department: Knowledge, attitude, behavior, and training need of nursees. Indian journal of Critical Care Medicine, 22(5), 346-352. https://doi.org/10.4103/ijccm.IJCCM_63_18
Metsamuuronen, R., Kokki, H., Naaranlahti, T., Kurttila, M., & Heikkila, R., (2020). Nurses’ perception of automated dispensing cabinets – and observation study and online survey. BMC nursing, 19(1), 1-9. http://doi.org/10.1186/s12912-020-00420-2
Risør, B. W., Lisby, M., & Sørensen, J. (2018). Complex automated medication systems reduce medication administration errors in a Danish acute medical unit. International
PICO and Literature Search Scenarios
Delegation: A unit employs RNs, LPN’s and PCTs (patient care techs) to provide direct care. The unit has had an issue with appropriate delegation. The PCTs and LPNs report that they are being asked to perform more than their “fair share”, and things they should not do. The RN’s state that they are the only ones who do anything, and every time they ask the LPNs and PCTs to do anything they are told the PCTs and LPNs are not allowed to perform the task. The Unit manager recognizes that efforts to improve delegation need to be made. Your task is to research an intervention to enhance the quality and practice of delegation on this unit.
Decreasing wait times in ER or patient flow time to move from ED: A manager of an Emergency Department is concerned that patient satisfaction scores have dropped significantly for the department. The primary complaint is long wait times. Internal tracking of patient flow has shown patients are waiting up to 7 hours for transfers to patient care areas, or to hospital units. Your task is to research an intervention to decrease wait times with improved flow to the care areas.
New grad nurse retention: The manager of a medical surgical unit that is expanding needs to hire additional staff. Over the last 3 years 90% of the new graduates hired have quit within the first year of hire. The current RN staff is comprised of 8 nurses with greater than 10 yrs experience, 6 nurses with 5-10 yrs experience and 7 nurses with less than 5 yrs experience on the unit. Six new graduates are hired for the expansion. They will start 3 months before the new beds open. Your task is to research an intervention to enhance retention of the new graduates.
Reducing medication errors: A medical surgical unit manager has had a significant increase in medication administration errors over the last two months. The errors involve many staff members and are occurring on all shifts. The budget does not allow for the purchase of new administration system. Your task is to research an intervention to decrease medication administration errors from the nursing staff within these parameters.
Patient family centered care: The manager of a medical surgical unit has experienced a significant drop in patient satisfaction with the primary complaints being a lack of communication to patients and their family members. Your task is to research an intervention to increase patient-family centered care environment that would address this issue.
Evidence-based practice: A hospital is seeking Magnet Hospital status. The managers of the units are charged with enhancing the incorporation of evidenced based practice on a unit level. Your task is to research an